TRUCK DRIVER – Class B / Dump Truck Operator
Class B driver operates commercial heavy-duty straight trucks including dump trucks (single & tandem), roll-off, vacuum and water trucks. Work includes hauling construction and demolition debris, bulk construction materials and other waste materials to and from job sites, quarries, yard locations and landfills. Performs all required DOT inspections and complies with other regulatory requirements. Understands the safe operation of their equipment and can communicate mechanical issues and problems clearly with shop personnel. Responsible for the daily operation and care of their assigned truck, maintaining required paperwork and overall safety practices.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fully understand the safe operation of each type of equipment driven.
- Perform all required vehicle inspections including pre and post trip safety inspections and report all issues as required.
- Maintain and complete all required paperwork including but not limited to hauling tickets, manifests and delivery receipts. Drivers must specifically comply with any customer/client paperwork requirements.
- To report promptly at dispatched start time and to forecast a route in the most efficient/legal and timely manner.
- To maintain eligibility to drive under DOT regulations including compliance with the MCI Drug and Alcohol Policy and annual recertification provisions.
- Understand all applicable permits that the assigned vehicle operates under and operate within the permit perimeters.
- To work in and around construction job sites and be knowledgeable in the hazards of each environment including but not limited to above and/or below grade obstructions, environmental conditions and work types such as demolition and utility trenching.
- Practice safe driving techniques and remain vigilant to prevent any and all accidents.
- Immediately report any and all incidents/accidents and participate in and cooperate with all accident investigations.
- Attend all training and safety meetings.
- Communicate clearly with dispatchers, superintendents and foreman to effectively complete assigned tasks.
- To keep equipment clean and in good working order.
- Physically capable of tarping and performing manual tasks as required to secure or maintain any load or operate manual vehicle controls.
- Drivers are required to perform nightly shutdown duties on the assigned equipment including fueling, cleaning any box or bed, emptying any piping or valves or other specific equipment tasks.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
Drivers are required to possess a valid NYS commercial driver’s license (CDL), class B minimum and to meet all DOT qualification requirements. Tanker endorsement for water truck operation preferred. Drivers must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol examination. Minimum requirement of three years of prior construction driving is required. Demonstrated dump truck experience is necessary; experience on other types of equipment in this class is preferable however training is available. High school diploma or equivalency is required. Ability to operate construction loading equipment preferred. Must be able to clearly and concisely communicate both orally and in writing.